- NSQ found outside Mizoram
- NSQ found inside Mizoram
- SUSPENSION APRIL2021-MARCH2022
Mizoram Drugs Regulatory System started functioning in the state since the year 1986 under the Health & Family Welfare Department.
The Drugs Regulatory Officers are implementing the Drugs & Cosmetics Act 1940 & Rules 1945 in the state regulating the manufacture, sale and distribution of drugs and cosmetics to ensure availability of standard quality of drugs and cosmetics to the consumer/public. They maintain quality of drugs through licensing, periodical inspection to assess the extent of compliance and monitoring the quality of drugs in the market through sampling and post marketing surveillance. They inspect and regulate the function of blood bank to ensure safety of blood for transfusion. They launch prosecution in the court of law to those who contranvene the provisions of the Act and Rules there under.
The Drug Regulatory Officers are also enforcing the Drugs (Price Control) Order 2013 to regulate supply and prices of the bulk drugs and formulations in order that the public could get regular supply of drugs at affordable prices and also control hoarding and shortage of drugs. Inspite of the land locked nature and difficult terrain that create problem in transportation, all the pharmaceutical formulations could reach the consumer at MRP even at the remotest corner of the state.
The Drug Regulatory Officers are also regulating and enforcing the Drugs and Magic (Objectional Advertisement) Act, 1954 to control advertisement of drugs through media that could give false information misleading the public for self medication or self medical treatment and also to protect the society from quacks.
In addition to the normal work and duties the misuse/abuse of prescription drugs becoming a kind of trend among youngsters of the state leads to arising of illegal selling of such drugs in the state both by local people as well as those from outside the state. This increases the workload of the regulatory personnels as it require all time monitoring and tackling to protect the society.
Also, the state being in the international border area makes it an important gateway for illegal export and import of bulk drugs, pharmaceutical formulations and cosmetics. The drug regulatories with such less facilities are trying their best effort to tackle such bigger challenges.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To ensure the availability of standard quality of drugs and cosmetics to the consumer and to ensure safety of blood transfusion.
- Availability of drugs at reasonable prices and to control hoarding and shortage of drugs in the state.
- To prevent objectionable and misleading advertisement in order to discourage self-medication and self-treatment.
- To prevent misuse of abusive drugs.
The organizational set-up of Mizoram Drugs Control Administration comprises of the following Officers:
Name of Drugs Control Officers
Place of Posting
Lalsawma Pachuau, JD, Controlling & Licensing Authorty
Timothy Thanchungnunga, AD
Sarah Laldintluangi, AD
Lianhmingthangi Ralte, ADI
Carolyn Rinzampuii, ADI
Lorind Lalthannguri, ADI
FOOD SAFETY PROGRAMME
(Food Safety and Standard Authority of India)
Food Safety and Standards Act was enacted by the Parliament of India in its 56th year of Republic of India in the year 2006.This act is meant to consolidate the laws relating to food and also to establish a science based standards for article of food. It lays a direction, instruction and guidance with regards to manufacture, storage, distribution, sale & import and also to ensure availability of safe food and wholesome food for human consumption. Food Safety & Standards Cell of the Directorate of Health Services is responsible for the execution of the programme and works for the implementation of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and the Regulation, 2011.
Consumption of unsafe and unhygienic food can cause a number of avoidable diseases and can retard the development of the people. So,to ensure the availability of food that is hygienic and safe for consumption by human beings, educating the general public about their rights to food safety, checking and inspecting suspected food articles are the most important aims and objective of Food Safety & Standards Act, 2006. It provide provisions to prevent food adulteration and prohibit the sale of unsafe and sub-standards food and can also impose a severe punishment including imprisonment to those who does not comply and follow the provisions it.
FOOD SAFETY ENFORCEMENT
Place of Posting
Secretary/Commissioner of H & F.W Deptt as Food Safety Commissioner
Lalsawma, Joint Director (Food & Drugs) as Deputy Food Safety Commissioner
F.Lalliantluanga, Designated officer
H.Vanlalnghaka, Designated Officer
Lalchhandama, Designated officer
Lalrinkimi Pachuau, Food Safety Officer
Achievement during 2021-22
- Drugs Store are regularly inspected to monitor their function and compliance to the Act & Rules to ensure only safe and quality drugs are dispensed to consumer
No. Of Drugs Store Inspection : 1114 Nos.
- Drugs Licences operated in violation of the Drugs & Cosmetics act 1940 & Rules 1945 are either suspended for specific period or cancelled
No. Of Drugs Licence Suspended : 15 Nos.
No. of Drugs Licence Cancelled : 83 Nos.
- Drugs Sample are drawn regularly for quality assurance and those found not of standard quality (NSQ) are recalled from market to safeguard public healthcare.
No. of sample drawn for analysis : 33 Nos.
No. of Not of Standard Quality drugs found : 4 Nos.
- Cases are registered in the court of law against those dealing in drugs having no valid drug licence
No. of cases registered in the court of law : NIL
No. of conviction : Pending
- Govt. Of Mizoram had allotted Plot No.B-4 measuring 997.62 sq.m in the Mizoram New Capital Complex (MNESCO) for construction of Food & Drugs Testing Laboratory under fund received from Central Government for Strengthening of Drugs Regulation. Procurement of Laboratory Equipments, I.T materials and office furniture has been approved by SPAB.
- Govt. Of Mizoram had also given permission for engagement of empanelled consultancy firm for constructionof State Drugs Testing Laboratory amounting to Rs. 250 lacs as funded by Central Government and work had started from December 2019.
- Mizoram Drugs Price Monitoring Research Unit had been set up on Setember 2020 for which Project Coordinator – 1 No, Field Investigator- 1 No and Data Entry Operator – 1 No were recruited.
- Revenue collected: : Rs. 12,91,940/-
- Under provision of FSS Act 2006 and Rules & Regulation 2011 any persons running/starting a food business services, He/She should obtain a Licence or Registration under the Act
- Registration: Food Business Operators whose annual turn over is less than 12 lakhs should obtain a Registration from the Registering Authority. Registration Fee is Rs.100/- per annum.
No. of Registration issued : 1048 Nos.
- Licence: FBO having an annual turnover more than 12 lakhs are bound to obtain Licence from the State Licensing Authority. Licence Fee is Rs.2000/- per annum.
No. of Licence issued : 207 Nos. (State)
8 Nos. (Central)
- Inspection of Food Dervice Establishment has been conducted many a time.
No. of Food Service Establishment Inspected : 250 Nos.
- Collection/Lifting of Food sample: Any food items suspected by FSO are lifted/freeze by them and sent for analysis at Food Tetsing Laboratory
No. of Food Sample lifted : Food Testing Laboratory 354 Nos.
Food Safety on Wheels 231 Nos.
- Food Safety on Wheels : A mobile Food Testing Laboratory called Food Safety on Wheels was received from Food Safety and Standard Authority of India, MoHFW.
- Revenue collected: : Rs. 14,92,100 /-
ACHIEVEMENTS OF FOOD & DRUGS: 2018-2020
No.of drugs licence issued
No. of Drugs license cancelled
No. of Drugs license renewal
No. of Drugs license suspended
No. of Show cause Notice Served
No. of Sale Premises Inspection
No. of Sample Drawn for Analysis
No. of Case Registered in Court of Law
No. of Convicted/Acquittal pending if any
No. of Drug price violation found
No. of Food License issued
No. of Food License Registration
Drug License application fee
Drug License renewal fee
Total Revenue (Food License & Registration)
MIZORAM PRICE MONITORING AND RESOURCE UNIT
Name of Drugs Control Officers
Place of Posting
MS Dawngliani Ralte,
- Govt. Of Miozoram had given permission for engagement of empanelled consultancy firm for construction of State Drug Testing Laboratory amounting to Rs 250 lacs as funded by Central Government and work had started from December 2019. 70% of work completed.
- Mizoram Drugs Price Monitoring Research Unit been set up on September 2020. Since its inception 29 Nos. of violations ( particular brand of drugs sold above MRP) had been detected and reported tor NPPA.
- Relating to Covid-19 FDA had work tirelessly to maintain the standard of Hand Sanitizer and in this regard, 6 brand of not of standard quality hand sanitizer were seized from the market.Vit C tablet (mfg Saratra Healthcare, Dehradu) had been found NSQ and recalled from market. FDA had been very vigil to check black marketing of covid related medicine (eg Ramdesivir, tocilizumab etc).
- Food Safety on Wheels: A Mobile Food Testing Laboratory called Food Safety on Wheels was received from Food Safety and Standard Authority of India, MoHFW. This is being utilised on the roads. The vehicle is equipped with various food testing equipments for testing aflotoxin, microbiological, milk, oil etc.
- Work Plan proposal under Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for 2021 – 2022 for strengthening of food safety eco-system in the country was submitted to FSSAI. The work plan is approved and fund is due to be sanctioned in a short while.