NATIONAL ORAL HEALTH PROGRAMME (NOHP)


1.INTRODUCTION & BACKGROUND

‘Oral Health’ is an integral part of general health. With increasing life expectancy Oral Health is bound to play a major role in improving the quality of life. The prevalence of oral diseases, such as Dental caries, Periodontitis (diseases of the gum), Mal-occlusion and Oral cancer, are very high in Mizoram. Mal-occlusion of teeth is common among 50% of school children. Oral Cancer accounts for almost 40% of the total diagnosed cancer cases and the wide usage of tobacco in various forms attributes to 90% of all oral cancers. Dental caries and Periodontitis are very common in all groups of ages.

‘Oral Health’ means being free of Chronic mouth and facial pain, oral and throat cancer, oral sores, birth defects such as cleft lip and cleft palate, periodontal (gum) diseases, tooth decay and tooth loss and other diseases and disorders that effect the mouth and oral cavity.

Oral Health Programme has never been implemented in the state before but started from 2014-2015. It used to be the most neglected part of all Health & Family Welfare Department activities. It is estimated that nearly 90% of the state’s population is suffering from one or the other dental disease. And it is noticed that this alarming rise in dental diseases is mainly due to the lack of awareness among the people and the almost non – existence infrastructure of the Oral Health Care Services in the State.

Civil Hospital, Aizawl is the oldest Hospital in the State of Mizoram. It was established at the time of the British rule in India. At present, Civil Hospital Aizawl is a 300 bedded Hospital. The Hospital delivers various clinical and para-clinical services to the people not only of Aizawl, but to the whole population of the State as Civil Hospital, Aizawl is functioning as a referral centre from other Districts.

The Dental Outdoor Patient Department (OPD) started functioning since 1975 with the then two working doctors – Dr. Sharma & Dr.Sinha. In 1979 the first Bachelor of Dental surgery (BDS) among the Mizos, Dr.Lalzarliana Ralte (L) had replaced them.

Civil Hospital, Aizawl has been certified as ISO 9001: 2008 on December, 2010 vide Certified NO. IRQS/1011025 from Indian Register Quality system.

Aims and objectives of the Programme

Oral Health is an integral part of general health. With increasing life expectancy Oral Health is bound to play a major role in improving the quality of life. The Prevalence of oral diseases, such as Dental Caries, Periodontitis (diseases of the gum), Mal-occusion and Oral cancer are high in Mizoram.

Taking into account the oral health situation in the country, Government of India has initiated a National Oral Health Programme to provide integrated, comprehensive oral health care in the existing health care facilities with the following objectives:

  • To improve the determinants of oral health.
  • To reduce morbidity from oral diseases.
  • To integrate oral health promotion and preventive services with general health care system.
  • To encourage Promotion of Public Private Partnership (PPP) model for achieving better oral health.

The programme had been started with the functioning of 2(two) NOHP Centres: 1) Darlawn PHC of Aizawl East District and 2) Lungdai PHC of Kolasib District since 2015 and another 1(one) NOHP Centre Chawngte CHC of Lawngtlai District had been added since 2016, thus making a total of 3(three) NOHP Centres functioning in the 3(three) Districts of state, out of the 9(nine) districts. The intended benefit of the programme is being availed by the needy patients of the three centres along with the neighbouring villages.

1.Primary Health Centre, Darlawn, Aizawl East District

2.Primary Health Centre Lungdai, Kolasib District

3.Community Health Centre, Chawngte, Lawngtlai District

Each NOHP Centre had been equipped and staffed with 3(three) staff, and the team of the staff consists of:

  • Dental Surgeon
  • Dental Hygienist
  • Dental Assistant

Outreach programmes had been given priority in each of the NOHP centre besides running regular Dental OPD in the centres, as much as possible.

Posters, Leaflets & Booklets in regional language had been distributed regarding the importance of Oral Health and the maintenance of it.

In the year 2017-2018, 3(three) new NOHP Centres have been proposed to Government of India to be opened in the following districts:

  • Kawrthah CHC in Mamit district.
  • Thenzawl CHC in Serchhip district.
  • Pangzawl PCH in Lunglei district.


Any other information,
Contact Dr. Vanlalhuma Sailo,
Programme Officer, Oral Health, NHM, Mizoram
Phone No. 0389-2314302, Mob No. 9436141006